How to help babies or children with ear pressure on a flight! Its hard to explain to a baby that their ears may “pop” or feel very pressurised on a flight and it’s even more difficult to calm them down from the discomfort this can cause! As an adult you can suck on a hard sweet, try to yawn repetitively or hold your nose and blow gently to try to equalise the pressure within your inner ear. These techniques would all work for a baby but are not exactly possible due to practical and cognitive issues!! So lets have a look at what is practical! Tips to try to reduce pressure build up in your babies ears:
- Feed a breast fed baby during take off and landing as this will provide comfort and also help to equalise the pressure.
- Try to time bottle feeds around take off and landing for bottle fed babies as the sucking action will equalise the pressure.
- If you can’t work the feeds around the flight time try offering your baby a soother so that the sucking motion can be achieved to equalise the pressure within the ears.
- Offer toddlers and older children a drink out of a bottle with a straw as this can have the same positive effect
- Babies or children who have a bad ear infection may be advised not to fly by their GP’s due to the risk of ear drum rupture or tear. Check with your doctor before flying if you feel your child is suffering from an ear infection.
- Encouraging your baby or child to drink water during the flight will help to keep mucus thin despite the drying atmosphere of the aeroplane – this will help to stop the inner ear from getting clogged.
- If your child is suffering from ear pain before a flight consider treating them with a dose of paracetamol (calpol) or ibuprofen (nurofen) approximately half an hour before a flight to reduce pain on take off and landing.
- If your baby has had any ear surgery check with your GP before flying! Grommets can actually reduce ear pain as they allow air in and out of the ear preventing a build up of pressure but if your child has had infections recently discuss it with your doctor.
- Use Childrens Earplanes to relieve pressure during take off and landing. These ear plugs relieve ear discomfort when flying and alleviate that ‘popping feeling by regulating air pressure using, the exclusive CeramX™ filter. They are made of latex free silicone and are a drug free option of providing your child with relief from pressure during take off and landing. There is one pair in a pack. They can be used for children from 1-11 years of age. They are available here www.milltownpharmacy.ie/p/childrens_earplanes
I hope you have found this article helpful and if you have any questions at all please don’t hesitate to contact me by sending a private message to the WonderBaba facebook page (www.facebook.com/wonderbabacare) or by calling me (Sheena) at Milltown totalhealth Pharmacy in Dublin 6 on 012600262. I’m always happy to help!